Monday, November 2, 2009

Time To Go... pt.7 (liner notes)


Liner Notes...

Those nice Norwegians, The Goo Men, have asked me to contribute some liner notes for their just completed third album. I'll have some time (I'll say) to come up with something as I foresee a lot of sitting in a van in my immediate future. It's suitable that I'll be writing this while being bounced around some Spanish roads. The liner notes I've written that I like the best were for Spain's Dr. Explosion, which almost reach the level of those written by that old master of the genre, Sir Lamprey Leech. For classic, 70's English 'serious rock' pomposity, the notes for the first Uriah Heep LP are pretty hard to beat, but what I really like are the notes where it's obvious the guy hasn't even bothered listening to the record. For sheer old-style rubber cement snip and paste indifference, it's hard to top Excello Record's excellent Lightin' Slim (Otis Hicks) album, (which was it, either 'Bellringer' or 'Rooster Blues'?-or perhaps they just used the same notes on both records) that the Spaeth brothers and I used to marvel over back in the Dark Ages. The notes paint a down-home picture of little Otis, stealing away as a child with his uncle's guitar to play the blues while waiting for the fish to bite, then later flatly states the he didn't learn to play the guitar until the age of 33. In the end they tie it all together by explaining that whenever Otis is asked what his favorite song on the album is, he invariably replies 'Bad Luck' "because it's brought him so much good luck" -naturally a song not on either LP. Down-home Excello probably just figured anyone buying the record was illiterate anyway. I think the Goo Men's favorite song on their new album shall be 'Bad Luck'...
-PZ